Thursday, August 04, 2005

Red Swingline luv

I would just like to share the newest source of joy in my life, namely, the Red Swingline 747 stapler that I got for my birthday. (Thanks, mom!) It's sitting on my desk right now, looking sleek but substantial, like a 1950s toaster or car. In person it's an even more lovely cranberry red than in the picture. It staples like a dream. And what's more, every time I look at it I think of Office Space, (Tagline: "Work sucks,") the brilliant and timless cinematic portrayal of a mind-numbing workplace and a few brave souls' attempts to escape it. I don't want to ruin the movie for anybody who hasn't seen it, but I think I can safely say that the stapler plays an important role as the trigger for a dramatic, subversive act. It brings a little smile to my face to know I've got a teeny piece of revolution sitting right on my desk. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bit phallic, no?

T&A Lady said...

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Kim Plaintive said...

Just be careful not to get too "into" your Swingline. I had a run-in with my office's resident demented-Swingline-owner the other day. There's something about those staplers.

caitlin said...

It does look sleek. actually, a lot like a '63 ford falcon. It makes my clunky stanley bostitch look like a '84 crown vic.

Plazz said...

Wow, your mom thinks of everything!

Tom said...

I like to think that the Colt .45 taped to the underside of my office desk is all of the revolution I'll need. Unfortunately, the "guest bedroom" filled with an assortment of small arms suggests that that is not really what I think. No, it is not really what I think at all......

(jk, ATF)

Anonymous said...

Her mom does think of everything, especially with the help of wish lists.

Love, Her Mom